Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tordado Alley

Most of you already know that Iowa is in the Tornado Alley of the United States. Today is the first time this year that we have had evidence of this. A storm system came through the area yesterday, but brought mostly just heavy rain showers. Today was a different story. It was the most humid day this year by far. You could feel yourself moving through the dense air. This is one of the ingredients for a harsh storm. I knew we were supposed to get some heavy storms, but I didn't know how bad they would be. You can never be too sure about the weather forecast, especially in the state of Iowa. The weather is very unpredictable here. Anyway, I was at a graduation party when I heard the bad news. The small, but well-known to me, town of Central City was hit by a tornado. Where I was it wasn't even rainining. I couldn't believe a tornado had hit Central City already. I thought it was too early in the year for the tornadoes to kick in. I know this town very well because the Wapsipinicon River runs directly through it. It has a dam that is great for fishing, and a state park that provides awesome camping. I was very surprised at this news. I am not sure at this time the damages of the park, but I think they are minimal. Hopefully everything will be back to normal before the camping season gets into full swing. This just goes to show you how unpredictable Iowa weather is.

No comments: