Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pond Fishing

The fishing in my pond has been getting progressively better as the days go on and the water gets warmer. The temperature has been consistently in the 60's to 70's. This helps the water warm up very quick, especially in smaller bodies of water like my pond. I'm not exactly sure of the water temp, but an estimate would be in the upper 50's. The crappie have been biting now for a couple weeks. They are becoming more aggressive as the weeks go by. A couple of years ago they had a very good spawn. I know this becuase there are many of them in the medium size range. One day I was fishing with some friends at the pond. We were using minnows, and I knew that kind of bait should produce some good crappie fishing. My hypothesis was correct. The crappie just inhaled the minnows. The bass were also attacking them. They were also hungry that day. This is a good sign becuase it usually takes longer for the bass to start biting. Now I know that they are biting and I can start fishing for them. Crappie is what I go for when I want to eat some fish. They are the best tasting fish I have in the pond. In my opinion they taste just like a walleye, the only difference is the size of fillets. Anyway, the day we used minnows for bait we ended up cleaning about 15 fish that had good meat on them. That is a good day in my opinion.

No comments: